Friday, January 22, 2010

RACIST "FACE DETECTION GADGETS"

This is an article I just read this morning. The article talks about situations where there have been "racial" problems with face detection on camera type products. I wasn't aware of the different types of face detections on cameras these days. At least not Nikon's "Did someone blink" message it brings up when it thinks someone has blinked.

The Nikon Cool Pix was the first brought up in the article, a Taiwanses-American family bought one as a gift for their mother. When they would take pictures of each other that alert of "Did someone blink came up. She posted a blog about it titled, Racist Camera! No, I did not blink… I’m just Asian!

That's actually pretty crazy. I didn't know any cameras had alerts like that.

My cannons have face detection but I think it will take the photo when everyone is smiling. That was also brought up in the article. You can read it in full here They bring up some web cameras as well.

Here's a video that goes along with what is brought up.

No comments: