Monday, January 18, 2010

Santo Niño Festival

I intended to go to SF this day but my mom just got home from work at 7am which meant... NO we're not going to SF. She also had other things in mind which she didn't tell me about until that morning.

The church was having it's annual Santo Niño Festival. Growing up with heavy religious grandparents we always seen Santo Niño's in homes as well as my parents and all the churches we've gone to in the Philippines. Also I've never been to anything like this EVER on a side note. My mother grew up in a religious family so this was something she was into. We went and it was pretty cool and crazy at the same time. I didn't realize that the Santo Niño, was a gift as an aliance with the Philippines and Spain, it was a gift from the Spanish, which also lead to the teachings of christianity. Mass didn't seem like regular mass it was more .. I guess you can say exciting, there were many people with the Santo Niño's singing and dancing with them, big and small statues. This was the first time besides a wedding I seen people casually taking photos inside the church as well.


Here's a lady with her little Santo Niño

This was one that was brought from Cebú, I wondered why it had a black face & this just brought me into a history lesson. In one of the battles in Cebú where villages were set on fire, in one of the huts a statue of Santo Niño didn't seem to be harmed but the face was black. This was in 1565 in Cebú.

It was pretty cool the Knights of Columbus were there too, my grandfather was one of them when he was still alive.

The cool part of mass was there was a part where people spoke 5 of the main dialects from the Philippines, crazy to hear how different they all sound from one another. Anyway after the mass there was a little gathering at the gym, where food and entertainment was provided. There was A LOT OF food and many performances from alliances throughout the area. Plus all of this was free so that was a plus.
This was their burning of Cebú, hahah it was funny because the little fire got crazy I wondered if the fire alarms would go off.

lots of dancing..Von.. your dad..



Your dad again




I actually didn't video her dancing but she was dancing with the pot on her head, and like rolling on the ground and doing all this dancing while balancing it on her head.





I wish they went turbo like how we use to see em


The last one

No comments: